Saturday, January 30, 2010

Genealogy

Genealogy has been a passion of mine since I was very young. I used to sit at the kitchen table and ask my mother the full names of her parents, brothers and sisters and whom they married. I wrote down places, dates and children's names. I collected old photo's of family members and listened intently to the stories of aunts, uncles, grandparents and other family members.

As time passed, I found that there was more to genealogy. I began to compile all of this information and photos and found that it was far more complicated than I thought. There were societies that one could become a member of. The DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution), Civil War groups and Colonial Dames to mention a few. However, I didn't realize that I would have to have documentation to back up my research if I was going to join one of these societies. How silly of me?

Today, I sit amongst pedigree charts, family group sheets,cemetery photo's, census records, will abstracts, wills, war records, pension records, family photos, books and birth, death and marriage records.

With all the research, sourcing and documenting that I have done, I'm proud to say that I have now traced my family back to my Revolutionary War ancestor.

Hoping for one ancestor that fought in the Revolutionary War, I have not only found one but eight which makes this genealogist one very happy person.

© Karen A J Rinehart

2 comments:

  1. What an undertaking! I do hope you share more, especially the eight! I bet you have wonderful photos to share and a whole lot o' family fun to go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,like you, I found a connection to my roots and heritage through genealogy. I fully understand your pride in the discovery of eight relatives who served in the Revolutionary War. I'd enjoy hearing more about them.

    ReplyDelete