Saturday, January 30, 2010

My Special Fellow


My mother always thought that I could do anything I wanted to do if I set my heart and mind to it. Throughout my early childhood she instilled in me the many values of life, of which one was love.

Always telling me that if I loved freely and openly, I would receive it ten fold. Who was I to question my mother? So I set out in life loving and caring deeply for those in my life.

I had parents, grandparents and siblings that loved me. I met and married a wonderful man that loves me to this day. I cherish the love that I received from those that have passed on and I am told daily, sometimes more often, of how much my husband loves me.

However, 7 years ago, I met this fellow that changed my life. He had the most beautiful brown eyes. He stole my heart and I knew I would never be able to get it back.

He was so very special. He loved me unconditionally. He would sit by me, kiss me and hug me as much as I wanted. He went places with me. We played games together, sometimes into the wee hours of the morning. It would break his heart when I had to leave to go to work and be gone for hours at a time. He would eat whatever I fixed without complaining. He jumped for joy when I entered the room.

I love to write, you see. Although I do not feel that I am as good a writer as some of my friends and family that have been published. My goal and dream is to someday write a novel, poem or short story that will take someones breath away. My fellow would sit for hours and listen to what I wrote. He hung on my every word and never an ounce of criticisism crossed his lips but at the end a solitary kiss, I would receive.

My heart was broken one early October morning for my little fellow passed away. Those little bright eyes no more to shine. He wasn't there to greet me after a long day of work, nor was he there to hang on my every word. No more kisses and no more of his warm hugs.

I will always love you my little fellow. You showed me that love is something really special and wasn't meant to keep inside. Thank you, Thor, for all the love we shared.


© Karen A J Rinehart

4 comments:

  1. Karen, this writing takes my breath away!

    I envision Thor alongside you, tail wagging, paws in your lap as he climbs up to give you a hug and kiss for the heartfelt tribute you've written for him. And how honored Thor must be, not just to be your Special Fellow, but also to have his tribute being the first story you've shared with all of cyberspace.

    Well done Karen! I'm proud of you! I look forward to reading more of your love and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thor was a lucky pup, Karen. Thank you for writing this and sharing in your blog. Anyone who has ever known the love of a pet and had to say good-bye knows how much you miss him. He's crossed over the Rainbow Bridge but his spirit is right there looking over you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww! There he is! Karen, I'm so glad you added a photo of Thor to his story. What a handsome pupwup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He was only 4 months old in that photo. It is one of my favorites of him.

    ReplyDelete