Monday, February 15, 2010

That's a Bad Word

As children we learn many things from our peers but sometimes nothing more powerful than words. At that age we pick up words because of the way they sound or we like that they annoy our parents.

My sister was more outgoing than I was at an early age. She had many friends while I was content just staying home with my mom or watching television with my dad. This one particular day, she was aggravating my mother to no end.

We lived in an old two story house where the ceiling met the banister at the top of the stairs. I always thought it was a nice place because if my mother needed something from upstairs, I didn't have to go all the way down to ask her what she needed. The view from there was the kitchen and living room.

The outcome of my sister's aggravation of my mother gave her cause to send my sister to her room. As she reached the top of the stairs, my sister promptly stuck her head through and said to my mom, "You are a Mother*%$#@&!" Needless to say this made her very mad. She was sitting at the kitchen table, got up, grabbed the broom from the utility room and proceeded up the stairs.

From the kitchen, I could hear the sound of the broom hitting the wall as my mother jabbed it under the bed at my sister. Of course, never hitting her and hearing her laughing very loudly. Mother came downstairs, breathless and put the broom back into the utility room. I asked her, "Did you get her?" Mother told me that she didn't and couldn't understand why she hadn't because she wasn't jabbing the broom in one place but up and down the entire underneath of the bed.

Many years later and after mom had passed away, curiosity got the best of me and I asked my sister how she kept from getting hit when mom was jabbing the broom. She told me, "Simple, I hung onto the springs of the bed and she was hitting too far below me."

©Karen A J Rinehart

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, hahaha! I am lovin' the "sister series" Karen! I can just see your Mom with that broom, teehee, I'd be hangin' from the bed springs too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother's intent wasn't to really hit her. She just wanted to make it known that she wasn't going to tolerate her using that word. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed my writings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROFL, I can just see that unfolding. It reminded me of a time when Crystal called me a Bitch because a friend of mine used that word to describe every woman she talked about. I didn't chase her with a broom but she did find out how soap tasted. I love your writings! Keep them flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal must have thought the word was ok since your friend used it. Brenda was the same way. She loved the sound of that word and used it her entire life. I am so thrilled that you are enjoying the writings.

    ReplyDelete