Saturday, May 1, 2010

Lost

©Karen A J Rinehart

My husband and I went to Kansas City in April 2010. We both had classes we were scheduled to attend. After arriving and putting our bags in the room, he decided he was hungry. I was tired and asked him if he'd be able to find the restaurant by himself. He said, "I think so." Armed with the GPS, I had programmed for him, he set out in search of the restaurant.

A short time later, my cell phone rang. He asked me if the GPS went in reverse and I told him yes. I told him the button to push to set it to come back. Within 10 minutes, my husband, that has no use for electronic gadgets of any kind, calls me again. "This thing isn't working.", he said. I told him to push the button for my addresses and he said, "It's not showing what you said it would." I told him to shut the GPS off and tell me the name of the street he was on. I got on the computer and called Mapquest up, typed in the name of the street, then asked him, "What hundred block are you in?" He told me the address and I typed it into the computer. Mapquest showed that he was 45 minutes from me and he was only supposed to be 15 minutes away.

I told him to find a building with an address, pull over and give me the exact hundred block and exact name of the street he was on or I couldn't get him back to the room. He found a building and gave me the information. I told him which way to turn. He turned and wound up going the opposite direction I had told him to. Realizing he wasn't seeing any of the cross streets I was telling him, he decided to turn around. Frustrated, he headed the right direction and got back to the motel. Poor guy gets turned around in a big city so easily.

During dinner he told me, "I'm not going by myself again. You are coming with me." I responded, "Ok. Isn't it a good thing computers and cell phones were invented or you wouldn't be here now. (Men never stop and ask directions. At least my husband doesn't. Must be a man thing.)

7 comments:

  1. Definitely a man thing to not ask for directions! The minute I sense I'm goin' in the wrong direction, I pull into a gas station. Generally, the attendant can redirect, but if not, another customer usually can. Since I have panic attacks when I get "lost" I have no issues whatsoever asking for help to be "found."

    I empathize with your husband -- I am technology gadgetry challenged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this to him after I posted it. He got a huge laugh out of it.

    I just love gadgets of any kind. Like he tells me, "The more knobs, dials and buttons it has the happier she is."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad he got a chuckle, hahaha! Someone once asked me why I don't have a CD player. My response, "Why bother? If I had one I wouldn't know how to use it!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess it is really a great thing for your hubby that he has you Karen or he'd still be lost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, well, I would be lost without my GPS and my gadgets. I do believe it's a male thing though. They see it as a sign of weakness to ask a stranger for directions. It's much better to drive around in circles or leave the area entirely and find another family if he happens to misplace the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Lena, for reading my blog. Yes. My hubby would be lost without me, in more ways than one. (He's always telling me, he'd be lost without me.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, I got around Kansas City for years without a GPS. A friend gave us hers to use one year when we went on vacation. I had a lot of fun learning it. (all of 10 minutes) We came home, he bought me one.

    Thanks for your comment, Dianna!

    ReplyDelete